Skip to main content

Harishchandragad, Ajit & Me

It is 3 AM of 20th May 2013, and it’s just been few minutes, that I returned from a trek to Saandhan Valley.

I don’t know why today throughout the day, I have had a very strange feeling & I am motivated to write this. This post isn’t about today’s trek; this is an account of a trek completed seven and a half years ago! Those were the days when I was a total amateur mountaineer rather just a hiker and a very confused person. I hardly thought of this business as a lifelong passion. It was perhaps to socialize that I joined for this trek. Said to be a tough trek, this was taken also a personal challenge. Harishchandragad it was.

There are 3 well known routes to the destination; we took the one from Khireshwar.  It was mid December 2005 & the sky that night fascinated me way beyond my expectations. Almost every star was trying to prove its existence that night. I had never seen a sky with so many stars, least that I had thought they existed.

As the darkness of night faded, we kept marching up & down the hills. A few hills later I was tired, and the leader kept telling just some more distance & we will be there. It was day break when we had reached the destination. Right in front of us was the ancient “Hemadpanthi” temple of Harishchandreshwar.  

We rested there for a while and ate Kande Pohe, traditional Maharashtrian breakfast. And then it was time for sightseeing. First we went to Taramati, the highest hillock on the mountain. Ajit – the guy I knew only as leader then kept telling us that view from the Kokankada – the legendary concave cliff is breathtaking so we decided move along the ridge to Kokankada. And something fell down just 10 feet below the ridge & was clearly visible. What, How, whose & why were the secondary concerns for many. Well, it was my wallet! It had two precious things apart from money & cards. Everybody advised me to forget about it and I panicked. But then Ajit came to my rescue.
Ajit made an anchor of few guys and used a rope to climb down the rock face. I was horrified… The terror that a mountain can strike had hit me, and I trembled. My brains had stopped functioning. It was a matter of few minutes but it felt like a life time for me.  The want that felt like a need had vanished in a moment.  I didn’t want that wallet anymore.

And, then he slowly raised his head above the cliff, and I felt as if life was returning to me.  The other outdoor experts helped him back on the ridge. My senses were returning but I wasn’t back to normalcy completely. He handed me the wallet & I didn't know how to thank him.

After all this drama, we walked to Kokankada & then back to Harishchandreshwar Temple. After lunch we started walking back to the base village of Khireshwar.


I was and still am obliged to Ajit for saving my family legacy that afternoon. This legacy was passed on to me for protection in spiritual / religious senses. We visited this mountain again in Jan 2010, this time I was a volunteer & not just another participant

Today Seven and Half years later, sometime during the day every day, the thoughts still flood my mind and I am still unable to sort out a lot things. Ajit suggested I should to write a note about this trek. And I kept saying, I will. But I hadn’t till date.

I hadn’t written a word because I didn’t know what to write… To write about facts of that afternoon or to write about the things that changed inside me on that afternoon. Should I be writing about how strong Ajit is as a human being or how good mountaineer he is. Well, who am I to certify him in either case!

After this trek, with time, my friendship with Ajit & Manjiri – his wife flourished. I did most of my Sahyardri treks under Ajit’s guidance. And even today, I seek Ajit’s advice before I set out for anything new.
Today, just one line will hopefully suffice it all & I know everyone who knows Ajit will agree with me.
“If you have a friend like Ajit then you will know what friendship means.”

Popular posts from this blog

In search of footsteps of the Great Shivaji Maharaj - Umbarkhind

February 1661: It was 2nd of February and the Mughal Army was marching fast towards the Konkan region from Pune. The army consisted of Horses, Bulls, Elephants, small canons and men. They were equipped for a full fledged war anytime. Their head, Kartalab Khan, was a fierce Uzbek warrior. Trusted by the Mughal Emperor, Aurangzeb, he was sent to the Pune region to assist Shahista Khan to wage war against the Great Shivaji. Kartalab Khan was assisted by Kachhap, Jasawant Kokate, and the lady sardar RaiBaghan. The army had reached Lohgad and Khan had decided to take the pass between Lohgad and Visapur to enter Konkan. The spies informed Kartlab Khan that the Great Shivaji was resting at Kuruwande Village, roughly 4 miles west to the Lohgad. Khan instantly jumped at the opportunity to siege the Great Shivaji and gain higher ranks at the courts of the Emperor. Thus, the army changed its course and turned towards to Kuruwande. As they reached Kuruwande, they found that the informers

Animal Welfare and I Part VI

  Radhika and I together we have many rescues stories to share. One such is that of a community dog who lived near her home. This fella was one big notorious kid. He had developed a wound and later there were maggots infestation. First time in net, the boy escaped by breaking the net with his teeth. Second time we somehow managed to get the dog in the van with the net and I drove him to the Angel Lady’s shelter. She treated him well and some three or four days later this guy ran off from the shelter. The group leader hid his face for a few days until Radhika mentioned that the dog had returned to his spot! I was amazed by this return. The miracles that mother nature brings forth all the time are euphoric. There was another case in my neighborhood . During each drive for about three months were trying to get hold of this female dog, she escaped every time. Then she was pregnant again. Finally two of her pups survived to adulthood and she almost willingly got in the vehicle for spaying.

Animal Welfare and I Part IV

  People would come to her to adopt dogs. Most of them would be looking for free puppies of exotic breeds. Many didn’t want to take home any dog that would have been previously owned. Hardly anyone wanted to have the local indie dogs. The group also used to organize Adoption camps. People used to huddle up only to see puppies in the pens. The caregivers of these puppies would mostly be heartbroken since very few pups would be adopted. The kitties would find homes quickly but getting the dogs adopted used to be real hard work. Once another lady and I visited an elderly couple who wanted to adopt a pup. We took some 4 healthy pups in carrier in an auto rikshaw. When I realised that the energy levels of the couple together wont match to that of the pup, I told the lady and she instantaneously agreed. We brought the pups back. Another time, a family had adopted a pup during adoption camp. When we called to inquire about how the pup had settled with the family, we were told the pup was